Happy Summer everyone! Ah the season I’ve been waiting for – picnics in the park, balmy beers at the beach and weekend rooftop hangs. For those of you in Melbourne, there’s a pop-up bar at Port Melbourne beach where your pups are also invited!
There’s so many great things about summer, but sometimes our skin doesn’t always cooperate with the positive vibes, especially with all the mask wearing and hand sanitizing.
Here are 5 common problems we face this season:
- Oily skin and breakouts
For those of us with oily or acne-prone skin, and the summer sweat mixes with the bacteria our pores get clogged up and can lead to breakouts. AND the last thing you need is this tight shield covering half your face.
Besides not going out to avoid wearing a mask, trying not to sweat and all other things impossible, here are some things to remember:
- Keep a pack of oil blotting paper or tissues in your bag so you can periodically wipe the sweat and oil before they clog your pores.
- Always use a fresh mask every day (I know you’ll be going through HEAPS but it’s worth it!)
- Make sure you’re diligently washing your sweaty clothes and hats! Hats are often forgotten about but it’s so important. I know I get pimples around my hairline if I’m not careful.
- Use oil-free products and cleanser for acne prone skin like this one from Some By Mi or Etude House .
- Alternatively, if it’s more irritated, try the calming cleansers like these from Dr Jart, COSRX
- Heat rashes
I actually didn’t know this was a thing until I experienced it myself. Heat rashes basically block your sweat glands, causing an itchy, bumpy rash. Prevention of this is so important because sometimes, they can stick around for a while or keep coming back.
The solution seems simple but the act of it is extremely difficult. Basically, you need to try not to sweat LOL. Stay cool under modern technology (aircon), use portable fans, wear light, breathable and thin clothing, and work out outdoors, in the shade.
And of course, shower regularly guys! So important, and hygienic.
Sunburn is not only painful but it’s also extremely dangerous, increasing our risk of skin cancer. This is particularly relevant in Australia as our UV rays are so strong.
First of all, SLIP SLOP SLAP. Guys, I can’t stress enough how important it is to use sunscreen on the daily, even if you’re not going to be outdoors (UV does penetrate through windows too, especially if you have a lot of natural light where you are).
Having an adverse reaction to sunscreen is a thing of a past, there are tonnes of different products you can choose from. My favourites are the ones for sensitive skin, high SPF, brightening and ones for babies!
- Flare ups from eczema or sun allergies
Red, scaly, itchy bumps and sometimes even blisters. It’s not fun and quite often you might need professional medical advice for something like this. It’s important to try avoid the sun. I don’t mean lock yourself indoors but find shade, wear a hat and skin covering clothing. You could still go to the beach but pack a tent!
Again SPF is a must and if you do need more help, ask the pharmacist for an antibiotic or ointment for your skin.
- Seborrhoeic Dermatitis
Ugh this is one of the worst things to suffer from, I know because I do. It flares up either from stress or change in hair product or change in season. It’s not only irritating but it makes me self conscious about going out with dandruff.
Here are my tips:
- Wash your hair everyday and make sure you’re really giving your scalp a deep clean.
- Make sure you dry your hair completely before doing anything else.
- Use hair products with tea tree!
- Beautyworks is also a big hair product retailer and I personally cannot go without the AMOS Green Tea line for to care for my scalp (also has a very refreshing sensation perfect for summer). You can also try the Kerastase Specifique range.
Hope all of these tips were helpful, all I want, is for all of you beautiful people to enjoy this season without the fear of skin concerns whilst being on the beach! Go get that aperol spritz, just pack sunscreen.