Calming ingredients in K-Beauty - Cica, Tea Tree Oil, and Green Tea
I know it sounds annoying but I was always one of those kids who didn’t really suffer from acne and breakouts in highschool. However, I’ve learned never to take advantage of what you have and to really care for yourself as your skin can change with age. As I get older, I find that my skin has become more sensitive to external pollutants and I often get breakouts particularly around my chin and hairline. I also find blackheads have been an ongoing issue I need to regularly care for.
There are many products out there that claim to be calming for irritation, but what is in them that helps with these? The three most common ingredients in K-beauty products are Centella Asiatica (Cica), Panthenol, and green tea.
This is derived from a plant, and it was found that in the wilderness tigers would often use this plant to treat their wounds by rolling it which is why it is also known as tiger grass. You’ll find that in a lot of these products, they also feature a tiger on the packaging! The ingredient has traditionally been used medicinally but in modern day skincare, has been used to heal scratches and wounds on the skin, enhance collagen and acts as an anti-inflammatory agent.
- Etude House Soon Jung Centella 5-Panthensoside Cica Balm
- COSRX Pure Fit Cica Cream
- Innisfree Bija Cica Balm EX
- Dr Jart Cicapair Enzyme Cleansing Foam
- COSRX Pure Fit Cica Serum
Tea tree oil:
A local gem of Australia! Native to Queensland, this oil has been used for centuries to treat wounds and infections and also help with coughs. In modern day skincare, it’s widely used for treating acne and irritation. It is, however, quite potent so it shouldn’t be used directly on the skin.
- Etude House AC Clean Up Facial Fluid
- Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Cream
- Mediheal Teatree Care Solution Essential Mask EX
- Innisfree Forest For Men All-In-One Essence Trouble Care
- AXIS-Y Daily Purifying Treatment Toner
- AXIS-Y Artichoke Intensive Skin Barrier Ampoule
- Some By Mi AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Serum
Green tea itself is widely known for its detoxifying benefits when consumed. In a similar way, when used in skincare, it is known to detox your skin and help fight inflammation, irritation and redness. It is rich in antioxidants and also helps keep oils at bay, providing a longer term effect. Not the main purpose, but it is also known to slow the signs of aging and help your skin looking and feeling healthier.
- Innisfree Green Tea Lip Balm
- Beauty of Joseon Calming Serum : Green tea + Panthenol
- Innisfree Green Tea Seed Deep Cream
- COSRX Green Tea Aqua Soothing Gel Cream
- Holika Holika Daily Fresh Green Tea Cleansing Foam
- Melixir Vegan Balancing Toner
- Innisfree Bija Trouble Facial Foam
- Melixir Vegan Herbaceous Gel Cleanser
- AXIS-Y Quinoa One-Step balanced Gel Cleanser
Leave a comment